The High School of Glasgow is a vibrant, caring and high-achieving co-educational day school for pupils between the ages 3-18, which has been part of Glasgow's story since the 12th century. We aim to create a happy and nurturing community in which each individual is enabled to develop their allround potential from the academic to sport, the expressive arts and beyond. Our young people are encouraged to develop a sense of responsibility and to pursue excellence in all their activities and opportunities.
Drawing upon our Christian heritage and being a school community open to all faiths and none, our ethos promotes the importance of positive relationships, seeking to foster an atmosphere of mutual tolerance and support, traditional values and a concern for others. We benefit from excellent resources, modern purpose built accommodation and having our playing fields on campus. High School pupils take a positive and enthusiastic approach to the opportunities before them and demonstrate great fun, creativity and energy in all aspects of their school life. In the end we wish to see them develop into wellrounded, confident, articulate and caring young people who will seek to make a difference in life.
The School was founded at Glasgow Cathedral in the 12th century, became the Grammar School of Glasgow under the control of the Town Council in the 15th century and was renamed the High School of Glasgow in 1834. In 1894 the Glasgow High School for Girls was founded. When education in Glasgow was reorganised in the I970's, the Glasgow High School for Girls became a comprehensive school and lost its identity, and the High School of Glasgow was closed. The new, independent, co-educational High School came into being in 1976 on the day after the closure.
The School is housed on two sites approximately two miles apart on the north side of the city. There are 684 children at the Senior School, 283 at the Junior School - a total of 464 girls and 503 boys. The Rector has overall responsibility for the whole school; there is also a Head Teacher at the Junior School and a Head of Senior School. The modern buildings at the Senior School are set on extensive playing fields at Old Anniesland while the Junior School is situated in Bearsden in buildings that have been modernised and extended.
Junior School developments have included a special area for pre-school Kindergarten, a suite of rooms for Primary I and 2 children, refurbished Primary 4 and 5 classrooms and Art room, and at the Senior School a Drama Studio, a grandstand containing a refectory and multi-gym fitness centre, a new Information and Communications Technology building, a new state of the art Science extension, opened in 2008 as well as refurbished sporting facilities including five rugby pitches and two artificial hockey pitches, the most recent being an international standard water-based pitch as part of our on-site 23 acres of playing fields. In November 2017 a new Health and Wellbeing Centre was opened.