3 Financial accountant treasury and tax jobs
What’s my CV Worth?
How much could you earn in the charity sector? Use our CV checker to find out.Check Now
Somerset House Trust is seeking a Financial Controller to be responsible for statutory reporting, as well as day-to-day and overall financial control, including oversight of all transaction processing. This role will also be responsible for the quality, effectiveness and continual improvement of financial systems, processes and procedures.
Working closely with the Systems Accountant / Project manager (fixed term contract) and the Finance Manager, the role will deliver systems and process improvements, ensuring information is captured and reported accurately and efficiently.
This role with also work closely with the Finance Manager to ensure processes, controls and reporting are aligned and effective across the function and meet the needs of the wider Trust operation.
1. Financial control
- Responsible for day-to-day and overall financial control, with oversight of all transaction processing, including income/expenditure processing and journal posting, as well as checking/ approving BACS runs and the fortnightly casual staff payroll
- Treasury management to manage cash flow (including agreeing appropriate customer and supplier credit terms) enabling the Trust to meet its commitments and to take advantage of opportunities to earn interest
- Bank account and credit card administration (changes to mandates, electronic banking access and permissions, opening and closing of bank accounts)
- Maintain fit-for-purpose accounting systems including system upgrades, accounts structure and continual improvements to the efficiency of financial processes, working with the Systems Accountant / Project Manager and the Finance Manager to develop the finance system, Access Dimensions, to automate and improve processes and efficiency
- Maintain, review and improve finance policies and ensure they are effectively implemented across the organisation
- Ensure finance team are using the system to its full potential and in line with internal standards, providing coaching and training as required
- Ensure the wider business is equipped to operate key finance systems and processes and that training is timely and effective
- Develop finance ‘how to’ meetings for new starters and refreshers for current employees, with info pack
- Monitor latest developments in VAT and other tax areas, ensuring that the Trust meets obligations and benefits from any reliefs and initiatives available, and working with and influencing Trust departments to ensure financial and tax considerations are factored into project design and implementation
2. Financial accounting
- Deliver monthly financial accounts for Trust and trading company by working day 7, in conjunction with business partnering function (which focuses on P&L), ensuring all key balance sheet reconciliations are completed and up to date, including preparation of the balance sheet for Board reporting
- Deliver annual report and accounts with clean audit, managing and planning the audit and seeking to further accelerate the year end timetable
- Manage reserves accounting and forecasting, working with business partnering function to streamline processes
- Ensure effective and efficient monthly and annual close process
- Supervise and improve bank account transaction processing and reconciliations, and oversee cash handling
- Oversee debtor management, ensuring proactive credit control and that sales invoices are raised promptly and accurately
- Oversee the prompt and accurate transfer of data from sales systems (including Tessitura, Nexudus, EPOS and Shopify)
- Oversee creditor management, including ensuring PO administration and payment of invoices in line with credit terms
- Oversee the preparation and timely delivery of the following:
- Quarterly VAT returns
- Annual PSA return
- Gift aid claims
- Corporation tax returns including exhibition tax claim (if applicable)
- Provide technical accounting advice across the organisation and ensure financial reporting continues to reflect both new requirements and evolving external best practice
- Support the Head of Finance to ensure compliance with covenants and other terms and conditions of any loans, leases or other financial instruments
- Ensure continuous scrutiny of transactions to ensure they adhere the Trust policies and procedures
- Manage, develop and mentor the Accounting Manager and Accounts Assistants
- Lead or participate in various projects and process improvement initiatives focused on improving quality, efficiency and policy and procedure, recommending methods to ensure consistency and streamlining of procedures across the organisation
- Establish and maintain excellent working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including the bank, auditors and other advisors
- Carry out any other reasonable duties, in line with role requirements
We are seeking someone with the following skills and experience:
- Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA or equivalent)
- Experience of leading month and year-end processes and delivering the annual report and accounts (experience in the not-for-profit sector is desired but not required)
- Experience of operating a strong controls environment with ability to use initiative to solve problems and identify the need for changes in systems, processes and policies
- Experience of staff management, staff development and ability to work flexibly and as part of a team
- Experience and current working knowledge of Access Dimensions (desirable)
- Excellent technical accounting skills, with up-to-date knowledge and thorough understanding of key financial principles
- A good working knowledge of VAT, ideally including business/non-business and partial exemption
- Strong systems skills: working knowledge of accounting software packages and databases, with advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Good working knowledge of reporting under Charities’ SORP (FRS102) and charity VAT and experience of producing statutory financial statements and supporting workings
- Self-motivated with desire to continue to learn and improve both self and company processes
- Able to work effectively with people inside and outside finance function, understanding the business context
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.
Senior Financial Accountant: up to £50,000 + Fantastic Benefits | 18-month Contract
For a large international organisation with presence in over 120 countries, we are recruiting a Senior Financial Accountant to manage the end-to-end accounting processes across a global transformation programme. The Senior Financial Accountant will ensure consistent, accurate and robust financial accounting processes in line with corporate policies and is a new role embedded in the Transformation team, but will also work with staff across Control, and FP&A
- Manage monthly global redundancy calculations and payments applying country specific legislation
- Ensure all team costs and payroll spend is accurately reporting for the UK and Overseas
- Review reconciliations and variances, investigating all fully
- Develop and rollout effective finance processes, standards, templates, and systems
- Support the Transformation Finance Director and Corporate Finance Team for the forecast of drawdowns
- Support planning forecasting and monthly reporting for the Transformation programme budgets
- Manage the month-end process. Report to the UK Finance Controller for pre-closing and month-end closing steps
- Ensure P2P process is adhered to and review all accounting transactions and adjustments
- Cash-flow forecasting and reporting
- Review reconciliations for all control accounts to balance sheet accounts and FX issues
- Manage internal audit and NAO audit preparation
- Management of global fee reconciliations including rollout and re-charge processes
- Management of the Shared Service Centre relationships including AP, Intercompany and R2R in the SSC
- Work closely with the Transformation Finance Director, Regional Financial Controllers, Risk and Compliance, SSC, Corporate Finance, Tax and Treasury and External Suppliers
- Point of contact for Corporate Finance for Treasury and Tax
- Qualified Accountant (CCAB)
- Experience in Financial Control and in meeting deadlines
- Experience of SAP financial control system
- Experience of managing a diverse group of stakeholders in multiple locations
- Experience of ERP systems
- Experience of MS tools including MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint
- Experience of working in international and multi-cultural organisations
- Experience of redesigning and automating processes
As an employer, we are committed to ensuring the representation of people from all backgrounds regardless of their gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, ethnicity, age, neurodiversity, disability status, or any other aspect which makes them unique. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply and would encourage you to let us know if there are steps, we can take to ensure that your recruitment process enables you to present yourself in a way that makes you comfortable.
- Work closely with the Executive Director, Finance and Corporate Services to develop and implement a robust financial strategy, ensuring key financial risks are identified and managed.
- Financial Operations
- Lead the team to provide relevant and valued global finance operational support to VSO, in financial accounts, controls, statutory requirements, treasury, payroll, and financial systems.
- Work with senior managers and finance staff globally to deliver regular, accurate and reliable flows of financial information as required.
- Ensure the finance team is adequately resourced and equipped with the right tools to deliver a high quality, customer focused, and pro-active service.
- Statutory Requirements, Compliance and Financial controls
- Ensure that all relevant controls are in place and in accordance with the Charity SORP
- Ensure VSO complies with statutory, funding and tax regulations, fulfilling its requirements as a charity, company, and employer across geographies
- Provide robust and effective financial policies, processes and controls and ensure compliance across VSO.
- Lead the preparation of the statutory financial statements and the annual report for VSO and its subsidiaries. Co-ordinate the completion of year end processes across finance and lead the statutory audit process.
- Drive a culture of compliance and continuous improvement in finance compliance across the organisation
- Budgeting and Management Reporting
- Lead the organisational budgeting, forecasting and reporting process providing the right framework and tools to the organisation and consolidating budgets from different parts of the organisation.
- Ensure the planning and budgeting process is efficient for Budget Holders and delivers a sustainable budget in line with parameters defined by the International Board.
- Ensure regular reporting are available and discussed with Global teams on a monthly basis and help decisions, that relevant actions are identified and acted on based on the information received; review and ensure relevant analysis is presented well for decision making.Drive improvement in reporting process and tools.
- Take responsibility for managing VSO's Treasury, maximising investment returns in compliance with VSO treasury policy and producing robust cashflow forecast and managing cash flow risks. Drive evaluation of effective cash, foreign currencies and bank account management across all VSO locations.
- Manage the Finance System team to ensure robust, reliable and accurate systems which consistently meet the needs of the finance team and VSO and deliver strong controls.
- Drive the development of existing and new finance systems to deliver efficiency, effectiveness gains and to respond to new requirements.
- Ensure continued integration of finance systems and processes across other organisational systems and digital transformation initiatives.
- Effectively lead and develop a global high performing team within the performance management framework.
- Ensure team ways of working and behaviours are in line with VSO People First values and policies and comply with legal and organisation requirements.
- Ensure team responds positively to change, delivers a consistent high-level customer-focused approach and achieves objectives.?
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Fully qualified accounting or finance professional (ACCA, ACA, or CIMA), with in depth knowledge of UK charity SORP and compliance framework.
- Experience of successfully leading a high performing finance team in a large international organisation
- Demonstrable experience of developing and delivering a financial strategy in a global organisation
- Significant practical experience of the preparation of statutory and management reporting at high level.
- Strong leadership skills to undertake a complex senior management role in a global organisation.??
- Superior analytical skills and attention to detail balanced with the ability to integrate the broader strategic picture and the help drive management decisions and action
- Ability to communicate effectively to a wide range of audiences, particularly internal and non-technical audiences.
- Advanced IT skills, including accounting and reporting packages, proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Excel spreadsheets, word processing, power point, and electronic mail), financial technologies and Business Improvement System
- Commitment to VSO's work and values.
- Able to undertake occasional international travel.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.