Account payable officer jobs near Ely, Cambridgeshire
What’s my CV Worth?
How much could you earn in the charity sector? Use our CV checker to find out.Check Now
We have an exciting opportunity for an outstanding candidate, to provide a key role in the finance team for an exciting UK Charity dedicated to improving the nation’s numeracy at a time when the profile of the charity and the numeracy issue is rising.
Position: Finance Officer
Location: Flexible options: working from home and/or working from the office near Brighton
Hours: Full Time or 0.8 FTE
Salary: £26,000 per annum FTE
33 days’ holiday a year including bank holidays. Company pension scheme. Flexible approach to office/hybrid/remote working. Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion strategic plan. Employee Assistance Programme and other staff benefits. Multiple staff social opportunities.
Closing Date: Monday 5th September 2022
About the Role
As Finance Officer, you will work closely with the Head of Finance to manage the financial procedures for the charity, building relationships across the organisation to help ensure that the financial systems are robust and understood by all. You will be involved with helping teams across external relations and projects understand how the finance function can help them deliver the best value interventions and campaigns for beneficiaries. You will be part of the Operations team, helping to form the bedrock of the charity. This is a new role within a rapidly growing organisation and offers considerable room for growth and development.
Key responsibilities of the Finance Officer include:
- Monitoring and processing all incoming invoices to the organisation, ensuring that approval processes are followed correctly.
- Processing expenses and pre-paid card transactions for all teams and ensuring they are approved and paid in an accurate and timely manner.
- Maintaining accurate electronic filing and storage of all necessary documentation.
- Accurate processing of bank transactions onto the finance system and reconciling all bank accounts regularly.
- Reviewing and regularly reconciling all supplier records within accounting software.
- Raising sales invoices as required and taking control of debt collection.
- Working with the Head of Finance to provide an expert finance function for the charity, contributing to the production of monthly accounts, assisting with project reporting to funders, and monitoring budgets and forecasts with budget holders.
The charity is looking for an experienced finance officer who is organised and focused with experience in accounting software. It’s not imperative that you come from the charity sector if you can show that you have relevant transferable skills and an understanding of what it takes to be successful in this role. This is a fantastic opportunity within a small but ambitious and dynamic organisation making a real difference in people’s lives and livelihoods.
To succeed in the role of Finance Officer, your key skills will include:
- Experience of Sage 50c Accounts with remote data access or similar accounting software/package.
- A proven understanding of financial procedures.
- Relevant experience within a finance office.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Good organisational, multi-tasking and prioritisation skills.
- Being flexible and proactive in your approach, and able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Competent in Excel and willing to learn new systems and embrace digital improvements in efficiency and processes.
About the Organisation
This is an independent charity dedicated to helping people feel confident with numbers and using everyday maths. You will be joining the only independent charity in the UK dedicated to improving the nation’s numeracy at a time when the profile of the charity, and the numeracy issue, is rising.
Established in 2012, its mission is to empower children and adults in the UK to get on with numbers so they can fulfil their potential at work, home, and school. Their aim is to challenge negative attitudes, influence public policy, and offer practical ways for people to improve their numeracy – in the community, the workplace, and formal education.
You may have experience in areas such as Purchase Ledger, Senior Purchase Ledger, Purchase Ledger Clerk, Sales & Purchase Ledger Officer, Accounts Payable & Receivables Officer, Finance Officer, Payroll and Purchase Ledger Officer, Accounts Payable Officer, Purchase Ledger Manager etc.
Are you an immediately available candidate looking for great opportunity within a supportive professional body who promotes excellence and are you looking for a temp to perm, remote position? If so, please contact me immediately!
Core role responsibilities:
* Assisting with management accounts and regular forecasts preparation for budget holders
* Overseeing nominal ledger, sales ledger, purchase ledger, journal entry postings
* Responsible for bank and cash transactions, direct debits including reconciliation of all bank accounts, credit cards and PayPal account
* responsible for payroll control account reconciliation and processing pensions (payroll is outsourced)
* Ensure credit control management and supplier statement reconciliation
* Schedule and undertake regular payment runs
* Responsible for month end close and assisting with accruals and prepayments entries
* Assisting with budgeting and year end
* Assisting with VAT calculations and returns
* Maintaining the fixed asset register and depreciation calculations
* Processing Intercompany transactions and postings
* Assisting with providing accurate, timely financial information for external auditors
* Prepare income, expenses and cashflow analysis
* Assisting with preparing costings for programmes and events
* Assisting with financial administrative tasks
* Quality assuring financial data and information management, ensuring accurate financial coding and record keeping at all times
* Improving and exploring the use of different functionalities and modules of Sage 50 accounting software to improve the recording, processing and use of financial information
* Building and maintaining effective relationships with the internal team and external customers and stakeholders (eg suppliers and contractors)
* Act as the first point of contact for investigating and resolving invoicing and payment queries
* Processing and applying monthly expenses to appropriate budget line items, tracking outstanding balances and receipts, updating forecasts, and escalating any unusual variances in spend
* Engaging with suppliers and colleagues to ensure invoices received, submitted and processed in a timely manner, and to quality standards, escalating any risks to income
* Assist with maintaining financial policies, processes and systems used, supporting the wider team with interpretation and understanding, as well as undertaking regular quality checks and improvements
* Apply knowledge of financial regulations and Data Protection Act across all areas, keeping up to date with updates and changes.
This role will require the following as standard, as and when applicable:
* Occasionally, perform any other duties appropriate to the role as reasonably required
* Seek to minimise environmental impact in the performance of the role and promote environmental sustainability within area of responsibility
* Comply with the Equality Act 2010, eliminating unlawful discrimination, advancing equality of opportunity and fostering good relations with particular attention to the protected characteristics.
Skills and experience Essential Desirable Education & qualifications
Educated to degree level or equivalent experience
Part qualified ACCA/CIMA/ACA or AAT level 4 equivalent
Five years of relevant financial and accounting experience
Experience of working in the charity sector
Experience of working in an education, professional membership organisation
Experience of supporting external audits
Practical understanding and application of the Data Protection Act
Experience of data analysis and reporting
Organisation and planning
Strong attention to detail and ability to undertake quality checks
Can deliver to tight and/or unforeseen deadlines
Demonstrable organisational and scheduling skills with an emphasis on forward planning capabilities
Good understanding of financial planning and delivery cycles
Ability to improve processes and systems to ensure efficiency and effectiveness
Proficient in Sage 50 accounting software
Demonstrable IT skills, specifically Microsoft Excel, Word
Able to utilise online learning systems, platforms and CRM database
Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing with a range of stakeholders
Experience of building effective working and interpersonal relationships within teams
Professional approach to communicating sensitive information
Experience of creating and maintaining written processes and protocols
High level of integrity and personal accountability
Discreet and calm under pressure
Adaptable with a willingness to learn from others
Assertive and confident in managing own workload and communicating risks and issues with delivery
Commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and an understanding of how to demonstrate this within the role and organisation
We practice a diverse and inclusive recruitment process that ensures equal opportunity for all we work with, irrespective of race, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, age or gender. As an organisation, we encourage applications from all backgrounds and will ensure measures are met when required, to allow a fair process throughout.
Civitas Recruitment are proud to be working with a growing, innovative charity working with refugees and asylum seekers. Spearheaded by a dynamic and passionate CEO, the charity looks to assist with the cost of transport which often is a barrier to integration and mobility for those on very low income and means. The charity looks to alleviate this issue by matching refugees and asylum seekers with reconditioned, abandoned or donated, old bikes around the country. The charity is in its 10th year and is in the process of donating their 10,000th bike. An opportunity exists for a Temporary Finance Officer to join the team. It is a temporary approx 6 month contract (that can be made permanent), working full time and will be home based in the UK.
Who are we looking for?
Ideal candidates will be minimum AAT qualified and have experience of working with QuickBooks or similar accounting applications. Candidates will have at least 3 years experience in a similar role, of which one year must be working within a charity. You will possess detailed knowledge and experience of bookkeeping and UK payroll requirements. You will have excellent attention to detail and a strong working knowledge of Excel for both reporting and basic data analysis as well as other Office applications. A good understanding of charity SORP and FRS102 would be a bonus, however it is not essential for the role. We are looking for candidates that can start immediately.
If the above role description sounds of interest and you feel like you meet the criteria; please apply immediately or for further information, please contact Syed at Civitas Recruitment for a full JD and informal discussion. Early applications are encouraged as we will be reviewing on a rolling basis.
We are looking for an experienced Finance professional to support the work of our Head of Finance as well as to coordinate the day-to-day running of the department. This is a 35 hours per week contract.
Are you interested in working for an organisation with Investors in People Platinum Award which makes a real difference through the provision of high quality care and support? Would you like to work for a flexible, diverse, inclusive, not-for-profit organisation? With good training and benefits? This is a great opportunity for someone with the right values and experience in Finance to make a difference in our Company and the wider Community.
In this role, you will be jointly responsible for a range of tasks, including:
- The day-to-day management of the Finance department and efficient management of the accounting functions.
- The preparation of quarterly accounts.
- Supporting the organisation with the financial management of contracts, to maximise accuracy and income.
- The preparation of draft year-end accounts.
- Assisting with the development, improvement, and implementation of The Action Group’s quality system within the finance team.
Please read the job description and person specification for full details.
The successful candidate will have excellent attention to detail as well as a proactive attitude to work, great interpersonal skills and experience writing reports for senior managers. Experience in working in a charity or social care organisation would be an advantage, but it is not essential. You will also need to empathise with The Action Group’s values and have respect for confidentiality.
- 24/7 employee assistance programme, with access to free legal advice and counselling
- Good annual leave entitlements
- Ongoing support, training and development opportunities
- TAG Rewards – our exclusive discounts and savings programme
- Travel time payable where applicable
- Mileage allowance where applicable
To apply please go to our website, read the job description and send us your CV and covering letter explaining how you are a good fit for the job.
The closing date for applications is 09:00 on August 24 2022.
Interviews are expected to take place on week commencing the 29 August.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy before the closing date if we receive sufficient applications for the role. If you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible. Please note that we are only able to get in touch with candidates who we are able to invite for interview.