Recruiting for a Support Worker to join our Young People and Care Leavers Service in Milton Keynes!
GBP 20,000 per annum plus 25 days Annual Leave, Pension schemes, Staff discounts, healthcare and more. This role is working 40 hours per week.
Milton Keynes Service offers accommodation to Young Peoples aged between 16-21 years old. The service provides a high level of support to young people with a variety of complex support needs and backgrounds including care leavers, looked after children, unaccompanied asylum seeking children's and children in need.. The service has a capacity of 52 beds compiled of 5 properties with the largest capacity at one site being 16 beds. The service operates as a pathway with young people provided with opportunities to progress to greater independence. This occurs through managed moves from initial placement in 24 hour staffed projects to projects with less staff support and therefore more responsibility on young people to demonstrate their independent living skills.
In the role of support worker individuals will create and work in line with individual risk assessments and support plans with young person involvement. They will be able to be creatively engage young people in order to minimise risks and increase their independence. They will develop and use knowledge of the welfare system to support young people. They will be able to provide excellent information, advice and guidance to improve the independent living skills of young people. They will be able to carry out all necessary health and safety actions including light cleaning tasks and work with in policies and procedures. Furthermore they will actively seek out ways to work with partners to improve the experience of young people in the projects. The role requires individuals to work on a rota pattern encompassing a mix of shifts between 8am and 10pm including some weekend working.
Support Workers will provide support to customers to help them develop the life skills they require to meet the assessed needs of the customers of the service. They will work with customers to promote social inclusion and alongside other members of the team to promote independent living, encouraging customers to maximise their skills and choices.
- Building supportive, trusting relationships with customers
- Working proactively with other members of the team to handle the service caseload and administrative responsibilities
- Supporting key customers to set personalised goals in the form of a Support Plan
- Conducting regular key work sessions that are innovative and engaging in order to achieve Support Plan goals
- Ensuring ongoing assessment and management of risks associated with customers within an attitude of 'positive risk taking'
- Proactively manage risk and safety both in and outside of their physical living environment
- Providing support with daily living activities, including practical assistance where skills are not yet developed, to ensure that customers enjoy a high quality of accommodation
- Proactive development of links with local statutory and voluntary organisations to provide a range of engagement opportunities for customers in the community
- Involving customers in the design, development and delivery of the service
- Empowering customers to ensure they receive the service and benefits they are entitled to
- Encouraging and enabling tenants to pay their rent and ensure that rent accounts are managed effectively
- Ensuring Look Ahead Health and Safety policies are adhered to at all time and to uphold all health and safety responsibilities within relevant policies and local protocols
- Adhering to all other Look Ahead's policies and procedures
- Engaging in learning and development activity to increase knowledge and skills
- Day to day instruction/ supervision of Assistant Support Workers/domestic staff/ Personal Support Assistants where appropriate
- Undertaking any other duties consistent with the grade and nature of the post as assigned by the Team Leader/ Manager
- Enjoys social interaction and the company of others, joins in local activities to encourage customer involvement
For the full job description, please visit the Look Ahead website.